Sunday, July 3, 2011

14 weeks- Q&A

Since becoming public with this blog I have received a number of emails with questions and comments.  I have been able to write everyone back personally—but I thought it would be good to address common questions here.

Q: What are your pregnancy symptoms like? (unrelated to your CP)

A:  I decided from the beginning of this project to avoid making comments on my everyday symptoms because I did not want to detract from the main purpose of this blog; to explore the affects of pregnancy and CP on each other.

My mornings are my best time of day, from 6am-10am I try to accomplish as much as possible, including my morning walks. Starting 10:30 or 11:00 I start to feel queasy and exhausted and this escalates throughout the day. While making dinner I am probably the most unhappy. I am very unsteady, sick and easily confused.  I have developed a very strong aversion to meat, cooking and preparing it can be miserable. I am probably worst off after dinner—eating it makes me sick.  I’ve stopped doing the dishes at night because all my energy is spent, I have less coordination, and I get very dizzy. I usually go to bed by 9:30 pm.

I have not vomited, although sometimes wish I would.

Once every week or so I have a good day where I have energy and I don’t feel sick at all.

Q:  How do you manage to walk so far with CP

A:  I owe this to several things.  I was very dedicated in preparing/strengthening my legs for pregnancy.  I started 9 months before becoming pregnant.  The increase of the hormone relaxin in my body (this is a natural side effect of pregnancy) reduces the spasticity of my muscles.  This decreases my typical chronic pain.  Finally, there is my mother-in-law, she walks with me and interesting conversation really helps.  

I will point out though that prior to pregnancy I don’t think I would have been able to walk 1 mile without being in agony afterwards. The relaxin is a tremendous help and I will miss its effects. We’ve decided that 4 miles causes to much pain and to long of a recovery time so we have capped out walks at 2.5 miles.   

Keep the questions coming!  I will do Q&A sessions as long as there is interest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment