Wednesday, July 27, 2011

17 weeks Q&A, or is it 18?


First I want to apologize for having this be 2 days late. Monday I was totally separated from my normal schedule and Tuesday I had to catch up on everything.

How did you meet and fall in love with your husband? Does he also have CP?

My husband and I met in college, during my last year. We lived in the same apartment building and attended church together. The first thing that intrigued me about Matthew was how carefully he used his words. No matter what the situation I only heard him speak when he had something very kind or intelligent to say. What manner of college boy was this?! We fell in love over long talks in the evenings. I was very busy writing my thesis and working so he would also regularly fix me dinner to ensure that we had time together. Everybody has to eat! I remember one particularly busy day, I did not return home until 1:30 am and there he was sitting in the hall reading a book just so he could say good night to me.

One night in February after about a month of talking every night, he asked me to be his girlfriend. The question really threw me off guard! After a few moments of incoherent thought and struggling to find the right words; I told him yes, shook his hand goodnight and ran away to bed. Our first kiss was the next day and out first date was 2 days after that—so we did things a little backwards.

It was only two months later, while standing in the pouring rain and trying to obtain shelter under the plastic canopy of a playground jungle gym, that he pulled out a diamond ring and asked me to be his bride. At that moment I essentially panicked, the word “Marriage” had not even entered our conversations—and there he was with a diamond ring? I held on for dear life to the playground equipment as my legs gave out and I tried to process the information. Luckily, I had decided the week before if our relationship ever moved in that direction I would not resist. I said Yes! And 4 months later we were married.
--

Matt does not have CP, in fact he is completely able-bodied and a distance runner. He was the first boy to COMPLETELY look past my disabilities. He told me that it wasn't even a factor in considering our relationship, although he did make a point to educate himself on Cerebral Palsy.
On our first date
Matt running (wish I could do that)
What size of family would you like to have?

As large as possible! If I had written this last week I would have told you that we planned on having 2 children biologically (close together) and after they grew a bit and became more independent we would adopt a few.  Now though I’ve had a few “reality checks” and I’m not sure what we will do. It looks like my leg bones might be bending under the weight of the pregnancy; this could be cause for concern (see page “Our Choice”) and we might choose to adopt after this pregnancy.

I come from a family of 7 and my husband comes from a family of 8, so siblings are very important to us. In our previous plan siblinghood would be established and we would have time to save the necessary money to adopt. Now though we may not have that money saving grace period.  We will see how things go, I have not lost faith in having a 2nd or even 3rd pregnancy. We simply have to be willing to take things as they come.
  

5 comments:

  1. I love cute stories about how couples met! I am so glad that you decided to keep this blog, my daughter has spastic diplegia, and I'm always looking for little glimpses into her future. I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing problems. Have you looked into getting a wheelchair? At least part-time, just to give your legs some relief. Pregnancy is hard enough on a "normal" body, you need to take extra care of yours. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josephine,

    You are welcome! I hope that this blog can be valuable to girls and women everywhere. Problems are to be expected, so we aren’t in any distress about the situation (yet). The surgeon that told us that bending would not occur simply may have been wrong, we need to monitor my legs for awhile to see if bending is the actual problem. If he did make a mistake then my mobility goes down but I have a child  A difficult but acceptable sacrifice. We have looked in to using a wheelchair but we didn’t expect to use it until September or October. We probably will start with it earlier than anticipated. Thank you so much for your comment. I’m confident that your daughter will have a wonderful life, thank you for being such a fantastic mother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came across your blog tonight by complete accident and I recognized Matt in the pictures. We were good friends growing up. Congratulations on being pregnant! I hope that everything goes as well as possible for you! You'll be in our prayers. Good luck and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Esther, wow what a coincidence! Thank you so much for your congratulations. We also send you our best wishes and hope that your life is full of joy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I am Matt's cousin, but I don't think we have ever met. I am his Aunt Karen's oldest daughter. I just came across your blog from Ali's post on Facebook, and I wanted to say that I think you are such a brave and strong woman! Congratulations on your pregnancy and I hope that everything goes well. I think that is so awesome that you are sharing your experience to help other people. Good luck! We are rooting for you!

    -Kassidee

    ReplyDelete