Thursday, December 8, 2011

36 weeks 4 days


Monday was my 36 week appointment, I’ll be going in weekly now. If things are interesting I will blog after each appointment. For this post there is good news, bad news and good news again. The first bit of good news is that as of my appointment I was dilated to a “one” ooowe :)

Specific to CP

The bad news is though that my adductors (thigh muscles) apparently were tight and my OB was concerned that they would be to tight to allow the baby though. It is true though my legs were tighter that day than usual due to needing to go up and down stairs. She then asked me if I thought an epidural would loosen my muscles—I had no idea. Then we started to discuss having a C-section, not my favorite idea because I would like to be pregnant again before the recommended recovery time of 18-23 months. She wanted my adductors evaluated, so the next day I went into the physical therapy clinic to get everything measured. I avoided stairs prior to the appointment but avoided any other special preparation so the measurement would be accurate. The final good news is that the physical therapist’s report stated that he didn’t think I would have a problem opening my legs. He didn’t have an answer about the epidural but that’s okay, no one seems too.

Those of you that read the post concerning my birth plan know that an epidural isn’t my favorite idea because I am fairly prideful about my pain tolerance. I think I’m tougher than most and could cite dozens of reasons why—it’s a bit of a problem. I think though that I will take the epidural on the off chance that it will loosen my muscles and make birthing easier. Even if it doesn’t loosen muscles it may well help avoid additional constriction of my muscles that might be brought on by the inevitable pain. Since I really want to avoid a C-section I don’t want to have any regrets about what I could have done to (potentially) prevent it.

I should mention before I close this post that I am experiencing considerable pain in my hip, knee, and ankle joints. I feel like I’m ripping them apart every time I need to stand or walk up stairs, and I feel that I am crushing them in unnatural directions when I put weight on them. I hope that these things do not cause permanent damage, but what will be, will be.  I’m not scared at this point of another pregnancy, I definitely want to have at least two children. Like I said before siblinghood is very important to me. I however feel that it is necessary to be as honest as possible in expressing my experience. These last few weeks have been very hard on my body.     

5 comments:

  1. An epidural WILL help. It will relax your muscles, as you will not be able to feel pain, All it can do is help. If you are anything like me, tho you have high pain tolerence, your spasticity still reacts to pain, and your muscles tighten. I am able to have a normal birth with an epidural, and without one, I would have the same problem of my muscles being too tight for the baby to get through. You can always TRY the epidural, not for pain, but for spasticity's sake, and if it doesn't work opt for a C-section. I have also had a Csection, and hated the recovery. Simply because I rely on my upper body to do basically everything, I couldnt walk for 6 weeks after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melody, thanks for the info! I will definitely get the epidural.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck to you I have not been pregnant but I have a very painful condition of the female organs called endometriosis and my spasticity reacts majorly to pain i would also opt for the epidural if i was birthing my mom is totally against them but i think id go against her wishes if it would make the process easier for me only we know our bodies cant wait to hear the news that the lil man is here hugs to you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have they considered doing botox injecttions into just those muscles? That was it would relax those muscle without any longtem affects

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I have considered botox injections several times, for these and other muscles. Perhaps someday.

    ReplyDelete